When you are experiencing problems with your commercial roof, repair and replacement are not your only options. Restoration offers some attractive benefits that will allow you to cost-effectively gain more life from your existing – and still sound – roof. Consider the following 10 benefits of roof restoration before making the decision to replace your entire roof.
- Cost savings: Let’s face it—roof replacement is a major investment. The cost of labor and materials are substantial. While sometimes replacement is the best decision to make for long-term advantages, restoration – which requires less labor and materials – costs less than half of a total roof replacement. For example, depending on the roofing system selected, replacement costs between $18 and $22 per square feet, whereas restoration requires costs about $6 to $9 per square foot.
- Longer depreciation period: The federal government expects you to depreciate your roof over 39 years, so it is advantageous for you to extend the life of your roof, as long as you’re not looking at numerous additional repairs in the near future.
- Cool factor: “Cool roof” solutions, such as those available from Professional Roofing Company, lower the temperature of your existing roof. Since some coatings are highly reflective, they can greatly increase solar reflectivity, which can significantly reduce interior coating costs. You can achieve significant savings on your HVAC costs.
- Tax benefits: Restorations are financed through maintenance rather than capital budgets, which is a strong tax advantage. As a maintenance expense, a roof restoration means you can immediately expense your costs. Further, depending on where you live, there could be more tax advantages in the form of tax credits and rebates available for energy-efficient improvements, such as ENERGY STAR® qualification and LEED point contribution.
- Multiple options: There are numerous, cost-effective restoration options available depending on your type of roofing system.
- Safety: With some roofing systems, a restoration can upgrade your roof to a Class A fire rating. You’ll not only enhance the safety of your building, you may also be able to lower your cost of insurance.
- Heat efficiency: Since some coatings are highly reflective, they can greatly increase solar reflectivity, which can significantly reduce interior coating costs.
- Less intrusive: Replacement can be noisy and disruptive. Restoration is typically less intrusive to the people working in your commercial building. An added bonus: Restoration is faster and cleaner.
- Additional warranty: Many restoration systems are warranted through the manufacturer for up to 10-15 years. Be sure to find out how many years your restoration would be covered.
- Think green: With restoration, there will be far less materials to dispose of. You’ll improve the sustainability of your building since you’ll be reusing your existing roof.
You should make the decision about whether your roof is a good candidate for restoration with an experienced commercial roofing professional. Your roofer will complete an inspection, determine the condition of the insulation and find any areas of roof penetration.
Restoration options from a professional roofing company will address additional roof problems you may be facing, such as:
- Lack of surface protection from the elements and/or foot traffic
- Cracked or splitting roof with little or no internal leakage to date
- Aged roof which is no longer under warranty
Blog Source: Robert’s Roofing | 10 GOOD REASONS TO CONSIDER COMMERCIAL ROOF RESTORATION